March 7, 2012

The Dangers of Not Giving a F***

For years I thought about what people would think before I said or did anything.
Well... most things.
I've come to realize in the past year that doing such only stressed me out to no end.

Somewhere along the way,
I've become a lot more loose lipped.
If something comes to mind, I'll say/type it without thinking if it's too taboo, hurtful, or raunchy.

Now for the most part, there's absolutely nothing wrong with this.
Sure some people may get hurt feelings or look at you differently.
So? They're just learning more about you.
If they don't like it, the wayside awaits them.
However, there are a few precautions I'm learning I should take.

Don't piss off someone you care about just for the sake of being honest.
They are different ways to say things;
you don't always have to be blunt about it.
Granted, that is the most stress-free way to go about it,
but if you want to stay friends with the person
it's probably worth it.

Don't broadcast your information to everyone.
About a month ago, I shared an event on Twitter
that could hang a negative stigma over me for some time to come.
You know how it is: once it's on the internet, it's out for good.
Do I regret it? 
No, it's a hilarious story.
Did I have to tell it to everyone? No.

Don't endanger your professional career.
I'd think this one was obvious,
but once again, the internet can make it a lot harder to cover your bases.
If you have an incriminating photo or
have said something incredible ignorant,
don't run for any type of public office
without a great publicity team.
For those of us finding regular jobs,
keep your professionalism up online.
My twitter has already ruined that for me, I'm sure.

Lastly, don't get involved in a hot button issue without checking your facts and yourself.
For instance, take the #StopKony/Kony 2012 movement that's blown up this week.
Yes, some people are going to want to help out after seeing a video.
Yes, there are other evils in the world that deserve just as much attention.
Yes, there are people who will criticize you for only caring about this.
Yes, other people will criticize you for not caring 
or for trying to make them feel like a horrible person.
Bottom line, there's no way to win in this situation.
Just follow your own beliefs on the matter 
and keep your mouth shut.

...what are my thoughts about the popularize Kony movement?
[rolls duct tape over fists]
dckmfd nmfdkde, n,wiwekc ekwik jmcdkjxikQ.
I think that answers it.

I hope you've found this little tutorial helpful.
Let me know any additional guidelines or criticisms you have.
I'm still a fairly nice guy who probably won't tell you to wank off.
Word.


1 comment: