March 26, 2012

Cruising Online



There is absolutely no shame in using online dating services this day and age.
If I remember the statistic correctly, 1 in 5 couples meet this way now.
So, allow me to portray my online experience to you.

I have never been too successful in the relationship area.
For the longest time, I was quiet
and had no clue of how to approach people.

Ok, that's not entirely true.
Up until high school
I found a girl to swoon over
and make her mines to some effect.
Attending an all boys high school
crushed what little game I had.
Then I figured out I was gay
and the difficulty level increased.
You remember my falling for straight boys post from last week.

In my whole dating career
I have had 1 girlfriend and 1 boyfriend,
both of which approached me on MySpace.
Things didn't work out for one reason or another, obviously.

When I got to college and made a few gay friends - all black -
they introduced me to a site called BGC: Black Gay Chat.
Go figure, right?
With it's blue layout, it was a dark and gritty place.
I stayed on the site for two years looking for a boyfriend
before realizing that "niggas ain't shit" from Newark to Baltimore.
The site was mainly comprised of black men,
but there were a few latino and "thugged-out" white guys.
More than half of the men on the site were on the DL.
By and large, they all just wanted sex.
After meeting with one in person,
I decided I wasn't down yet continued to look for shreds of decency.
It was a near fruitless search.
Don't get me wrong,
I had decent conversation with a guy in his 30s when I was 18.
We both agreed the age gap was too much,
so he acted as an elder gay in a sense.
I lost contact with him when I left the site.

About two years ago,
a friend of mine showed me a4a: Adam 4 Adam.
This site was a bit more
inviting and comforting with its orange theme.
There was more of a diverse crowd there,
though I was mainly contacted by black men.
The men there were more civil.
However, most of my conversations turned dull
once I figured out I had no real interest in them.
I met one guy in person that turned into a friend,
though I haven't talked to him recently.
There was another guy who I flirted with for half a year
before finally meeting in person.
We haven't talked much at all since the encounter.
I stopped using the site after that.

Now, for the past month,
I've found myself using OkCupid
after hearing a friend met his recent girl that way.
Their blue background gave me horrid flashbacks
but I do admire their matching system:
extensive amounts of questions to gauge personality,
detailed profiles to help introduce yourself,
and limits on how sexually explicit your pics can be.
I speared you the details of how many under the waist shots
I've seen from the other two sites,
but just know it's enough to turn a guy off.

I must say, I'm yielding next to no results from OkCupid, though.
Perhaps I'm expecting the trend of guys contacting me first to continue too heavily.
And while I am mildly upset, I'm shrugging harder than Kanye.
After being single for so long I've gotten used to it.
I've become such a solo artist that trying to sing a duet
seems like too much effort, and I can take it or leave it.

I'm sure there'll be that one to actually catch my eye one day
instead of a potential candidate to pass the time with.
Until then, I'm cooling.
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment