March 5, 2012

Religion from a Stranger

In yesterday's post,
I expounded upon my session of people watching.
It was a fairly successful venture,
but I left one moment to be explored today.
To refresh your memory, this is what I jotted down:

"Asian woman from the group approaches me and hands me a pamphlet. She speaks in broken English but engages me in a conversation about Jesus. She assumes I'm a Baptist although I say Methodist when she asked me. My tongue make it's difficult to communicate with her. She invites me to a service and to spread the good Word. A young Asian man comes to fetch her as the prepare to leave. He departs saying, 'God bless you.'"

I wanted to talk about this separately
because it struck me as extremely endearing.

Here's this middle age Asian woman
trying spread the word of God
and she can hardly speak or understand English.
Usually I would be annoyed with people pushing religion on me,
but it was clear she was sincere.
I suppose that's why I went along with it.

See, I've been having an up and down with religion lately.
No real reason, honestly.
I'm just going through that 20-something agnostic stage.
There are days I believe, and others I pretend to.
I pretended with the Asian woman.

I know most people probably shoo her away,
so I wanted to make her feel like she was accomplishing something.
Maybe that was wrong of me - to treat her like a child -
but if you could have seen her smile.
I was unaware of how happy someone can get just talking about God.

Being around churches and "supposed" saved folk,
you start to question if there are any true believers left
or if everyone's just going through the motions
and doing what they think they're supposed to do.

That's gust why I fall in and out of religion.
If I'm going to do something like that,
I want to make sure I'm committed.
How dare I half-ass or barely believe something like that?
To me, that's simply offensive.

The Asian woman invited me to her church
where they would go spread God's word to others.
I gave her a "Maybe, yeah."
She most likely picked up my interest wasn't genuine there.
However, she still smiled
as she updated the number on the small pamphlet she handed me.

When the young Asian man came to get her,
they joined the rest of their clan in what seemed like a prayer circle.
I could only smile.
There wouldn't be anything better I could see in that park
than a group of Asians proudly exhibiting their faith.
I packed my belongings and walked to the train station
thinking of my relationship with God.

Letting a stranger talk about their beliefs can actually brighten your day
even if you don't necessary agree with everything they say.
However, Jehovah Witnesses who ring my doorbell at 8am on a Saturday
can feel free to enjoy the stunning architecture of my front door.
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment