March 3, 2012

How Poetic: g(r)ay

It's late and I don't have the energy to do the monologue I had planned for today.
I'll have it ready for you guys tomorrow at a more reasonable hour.
So here's a poem instead.
I've read it at poetry nights a few times now
and it usually goes over pretty well.
Enjoy.




And then the lightning struck
I was alive
Alive to see that maybe things weren’t so black and white
The world suddenly transitioned into many shades of gray
Some so pale, light blinded you if it reflected just the right way
Others so intensely dark you felt as if it could consume you

I looked at my own skin
It was a brilliant slate color
Bold and definite

Then you knocked on my door
With your girlfriend beside you, holding your hand
And I smirked, attempting to hold back a wide grin for her sake
There she was, the whitest white I had ever seen as usual
But you weren’t your deepest jet black self
You were a beautiful blistering heather

Her pupils burned with fury
as she placed your hand in mind and stepped aside
You were a part of my world

No comments:

Post a Comment