March 2, 2012

Journey of a Nuzlocke Nature

So, the plan is to keep Fridays and Saturdays lighthearted.
We'll see if that actually happens.

With that in mind,
I figured I'd take the chance
to introduce you to one of my obsessions.
That obsession is Pokemon.
Now, I know what you're thinking:
a) Charles, aren't you too old for Pokemon.
b) Really, yo? Pokemon? What a Poke-loser.
or c) You better be playing the original. Nothing exists after the original 151!

To all three reactions
I'd say calm your damn horses.
Believe it or not, Pokemon is still a terrific franchise...
game-wise. Fu...orget the new cartoons.
I played both new versions of Pokemon just last year.
If you're thinking I'm a well-paid fanatic, you're wrong.
Through the magic of the internet,
I found a way to play both Black and White versions on my laptop.
And now through the same sorcery,
I'm glad to say I'm playing one of the remakes of the original games: FireRed.
Except this time I'm implementing the Nuzlocke Challenge.

Pokemon Nuzleaf
+ Lost's John Locke
= Nuzlocke
What is the Nuzlocke Challenge, you ask?
Why, just a week ago I would have asked the same.
Luckily, a good friend of mines exposed me to a webcomic one night. This webcomic follows a young man on his Pokemon journey.
However, he set two primary rules for himself:
1) When a Pokemon faints,
it is dead and you must release it.
2) You can only catch the first Pokemon you encounter in each region (like Route 22, Route 23, Diglett Cave),
A little unofficial rule is that you name all of Pokemon,
creating an immediate bond to make it worse if they die.

Yeah, it's as intense as it sounds.

I started earlier this week.
I've lost 3 pokemon just before the 3rd gym already.
The first one hurt. It was a Spearow named Barry.
We had just beat Brock;
Me, him, and Chester the Squirtle.
Stingly the Weedle was there too, but he's a little punk buster.
So I'm travelling across the tall grass on the route to the next town
and a wild Rattata appears. No big with Barry up first.
Until that damn rat used Hyper Fang and took out all of Barry's HP.
I couldn't believe it. He was performing so well, one of my strongest.
Realizing I couldn't use him anymore made my heart tilt.
Spearow was usually a Pokemon I avoid,
yet here I was wishing I could hold his limp little body in my hands.
There was no way I was just going to leave him on the side of the road to rot.
So, I amended the first rule and decided to create a Graveyard in Bill's PC
so he could have a proper burial, so that I might never forget him.

If you didn't feel some type of emotion after reading that,
then you have no Poke-soul and are a Poke-monster!
Well, not a pocket monster.... You get what I mean.

But yeah, that's my new form of procrastination at the moment.
Feel free to discover a copy of Pokemon for yourself
and become the very best like no one's ever known yourself.
But if you do, well...
[turns baseball cap around and present pokeball]
...just consider me your rival.
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment