July 6, 2017

Rescue Epilogue



The skyline over Bedford-Stuyvesant is a wispy mix of dark blues, oranges, and pinks as The Velkline hovers and shines two beams of light over a vacant rooftop. Alexandra floats down one, Fletima down the other. Once they land on the roof, Fletima waves off the ship until it’s once again behind a cloud. Alexandra unlocks the door to the stairwell, which only takes unraveling the rope through a crack in the door. “Where are you going,” Fletima asks, walking towards her friend, but Alexandra motions that she’ll be right back.

Fletima acknowledges the command and falls back as the human disappears downstairs. She leans against the fence that was installed three years ago to deter suicide attempts, her skin as purple as someone who’d died from autoerotic asphyxiation. Their mission to rescue Xavier from the Jovians should have ended in their deaths, but Alexandra’s negotiation tactics were unworldly. Though Fletima was still a little upset Alexandra hadn’t offered up her own hair, rubbing her bald head as the evening breeze swept in.

“It doesn’t look that bad,” Alexandra returned with two lawn chairs, a six pack of beer, and a snapback under her arms. “Here. Put this on.” Fletima places the hat on her head backwards. Alexandra can’t tell if she did it on purpose stylistically or out of ignorance. “This is a look. It actually goes great with your tan jumpsuit.” She stretches out the lawn chairs, and they both take the seats. “Crap, I forgot the bottle opener.”

“Allow me,” Fletima snatches a bottle out of the packaging on the floor between them and phases the cap off, handing it to her companion. She repeats the process, clinks bottles with her, and takes a long gulp.

“Thirsty? Maybe I should have brought up another six pack.”

“No, this’ll be fine. I like how hoppy this one is.” Fletima stares at the label; the cartoon camel seems to be daring her to speak up. “I really appreciated your help.”

“Of course. Why wouldn’t I help rescue your captain? It’s the least I could do after all you’ve done for me.” Alexandra places her hand on the Martian’s lap.

“That’s why I asked if we could come back to your place for the night. I… I don’t think we should do this anymore.”

“Oh?” Alexandra leans back, crossing her arms and sipping her beer. She shakes her long blonde hair out of her face to get a better look at Fletima.

“I don’t want to rush into anything. You’re great, truly amazing. I never met anyone who can make me laugh harder or hold a handstand longer than you. I just feel like it would be wrong to string you along. I’m sorry.” She takes another gulp of beer.

There’s a bit of a silence as they look into the shifting night sky, the navies and the cobalts beginning to chase away the tangerines and the corals. Alexandra reaches down for another two IPAs. She waits for her fuckbuddy to perform her phasing trick before she finishes the last of her first beer.

“I know you don’t want to hurt me. That’s why you think you’re gonna do, right?” Fletima doesn’t respond. “I wouldn’t have started anything with you if I wasn’t ready to be hurt. Shit, maybe I want to be. It’d be a whole new adventure for me. So stop being afraid of that. And I know you don’t know where you’ll end up. You could stay here in the City or be called away to Seattle or you could move back home or stay with the crew. I haven’t decided if I want to return to my old life or fly around the System more, myself. There’s no reason why we can’t just keep having fun. I don’t need a label; not yet anyway.”

Half of the Martian’s second beer is already gone. “It’s more than that. I’m still figuring myself out, if I’m actually interested in Xavier. I seriously doubt it, but it’s the way things are supposed to be.”

“You’re just looking for an excuse not to have feelings for an Earthling now.”

“I can’t say I’m not, yes.”

Alexandra resists the urge to hug her, bouncing her leg instead. She takes another sip and sighs. “As beautiful as Jupiter was, nothing beats this skyline. Just the right amount of nature and smog to make this the perfect sight.”

“We really should do something about all this pollution. Where’s that one blue fellow your planet used to call on?” Fletima asks.

“Those rings have been lost for at least a decade. Someone should really find them. You’re right, though, because the corporations aren’t gonna stop themselves.”

“I’ll stop them myself.” She clinches her fist.

“Yeah, sure, tough gal.” She surprises Fletima with a light punch on the shoulder. The Martian cocks her head and throws a soft punch Alexandra’s way, which she blocks. Fletima stands up, nodding her head impressed, and then pulls Alexandra back by the shoulders. She tumbles backwards out of her chair, beer still in hand that she then finishes and places on the roof. She runs towards Fletima, and the two sisters in battle begin sparring on the roof, the sun still allowing the pink to highlight the skyline.

A few minutes later, Alexandra manages to tackle and pin Fletima. They both smile and touch foreheads, her blonde hair draped over them with the snapback laying next to them. Fletima fondles Alexandra’s breasts until Alexandra moves her head down to Fletima’s exposed belly button and licks it, sending shivers throughout her body. Alexandra whips her head back with a smirk and stands up. “Come on,” she says. “Let’s finish those last two beers downstairs.” She extends her hand for Fletima to grasp and pulls her up. Fletima folds the chairs as the human grabs her snapback and the last of the beer. They walk down the steps without tying the rope to secure the rooftop door, leaving their guards down.

1 comment: