July 5, 2017

The Jerk and The Lover

Alright fine, you got me. I didn't write anything to queue up today. Lucky us, I have an actual flushed out pilot I can steal scenes from. This humpday, enjoy a selection from [title redacted], but boy do I have something good set up for the next two days...



INT. PROGRAM WORKS LINEN ROOM - DAY
It's barely a finished basement. There's no ceiling, just pipes and drains that lead to the rest of the building. Old couches and chairs form a circle to the right of the door. Linens, towels, and toiletries are organized on rickety shelving units around the workroom. A raised desk with a computer sits to the left of the door. Attached is another room filled with tables, chairs, generators and other assorted items one might find in a garage. 
Van, wearing shades, is perched at her desk when Greg enters. Her Diet Coke is half empty. Younger staff members are asleep/waiting to start the day. Most of them are hungover. It's a Friday. The clock on the wall reads 9:58am.

GREG
Van! You aren’t still asleep! I’m so proud of you.

[He hugs Van passionately.]

VAN
I slept on the couch.

[She sniffs him.]

You’re still drunk, aren’t you?

GREG
Enough to get through work and save the day! It’s better than being hungover. Look at those poor unfortunate souls. 

[He motions towards the students on the couches.]

Good morning, poor unfortunate souls!

MANNY
Good morning, Greg!

DEBBIE
Shut up, Manny, and pretend to be asleep like the rest of us.

[Greg spots the Diet Coke on Van’s desk.]

GREG
Wow, you got up early enough to get your go-go juice. 

DEBBIE
I got it for her.

GREG
Debbie, I thought you were auditioning for Murder Victim #4 over there.

[Debbie gives Greg a nasty look and goes back to sleep.]

VAN
You’re so good with the kids.

GREG
I try. So we have a long day ahead of us or am I gonna be able to ride this high all day? 

VAN
Naw, just gotta set three floors with linens and towels for the Master Debators. We should be done by 2 or 3.

GREG
Master Da Bators! Such a hilariously bad name for a program. The kids are already spending their summer arguing; why humiliate them, too?

MANNY
Yeah, what jerk offs.

GREG
This guy gets me.  Hey, non-sequitur, you wanna live with me?

MANNY
Wow, this is so sudden. I mean, if my folks hadn’t already put in my housing deposit for Fall Semester I’d –

GREG
Sorry, Manny. Talking to Van.

MANNY
Oh.

[Manny goes back to sleep. Debbie pats him.]

VAN
You know we can't do that.

GREG
True, we'd probably just drink and eat and get fat and laugh all the time. And if I'm gonna be a serious writer I definitely can't laugh.

[Greg starts dancing like a wacky  waving inflatable arm-flailing tube-man.] 

VAN
Right. But no, I'm actually living out in Hunt Valley with Katie.

GREG
Ill, why? Wait, who's Katie?

VAN
This girl I went to high school with. She posted on Facebook she needed a roommate, and I figured she can't be that horrible to live with.

GREG
She white?

VAN
Yeah.

GREG
Ill. I mean… Sorry, you know how I instinctually feel about white girls.

VAN
No that’s fair. You probably won’t like her. Thank you for making the exception for me, beaux.

GREG
That’s because you are extremely exceptional. Plus, you’re weird like me. Wait, where's Hunt Valley?

VAN
Like a half hour or so north. 

GREG
Past Timonium?

VAN
Good job, you're learning Baltimore.

GREG
Ill, why? You're supposed to be close so we can at least hang.

VAN
I know, but my parent's are basically paying for it, so like, I can't say no. They want me to be on my own but close to home, too. Plus, I still don't know when - if - I'm coming back to school. Why don't you ask Doug?

[Greg stops dancing and reflects on his past transgressions]

Int. Greg and Doug's Summer Apartment, Living Room - Flashback - Day 
INT. GREG AND DOUG'S SUMMER APARTMENT, LIVING ROOM - FLASHBACK - DAY

[Doug is on the couch. Greg is on the phone by the dining room table.]

GREG
Yeah, Bast, you can stay on the couch as long as you need.

[Doug reacts silently on the couch.]


INT. GREG AND DOUG'S SUMMER APARTMENT, LIVING ROOM - FLASHBACK - NIGHT

[Greg and Bast party with coworkers while Doug tries to sleep in his room.]


INT. GREG AND DOUG'S SUMMER APARTMENT, LIVING ROOM - FLASHBACK - DAY

[Greg has a dirty plate and places it on top of other dirty dishes.]

GREG
And so the waiting game continues.

INT. GREG AND DOUG'S SUMMER APARTMENT, LIVING ROOM - FLASHBACK - NIGHT

[Greg and Bast on Doug's Netflix account.]

BAST
Doug doesn't mind us on his Netflix, right?

GREG
No way. That's the rules of leaving your PS4 in the living room.

INT. PROGRAM WORKS LINEN ROOM - DAY

GREG
Yeah, no, that probably wouldn't work. I'm like his first roommate since his freshman year. I don't think he lives nice with others. Besides, he's not the same Doug I met three years ago. It's like he's trying to be a (pauses) real person.

[Greg and Van shiver at the thought.]

And I think we just want different living environments, you know. 

VAN
You think he’s gonna try and move in with Julie?

GREG
They just started dating this summer!

VAN
Well, like April.

GREG
Either way, I wouldn’t put it past him. You know how he gets.

INT. 3RD FLOOR OF RESIDENCE BUILDING

The team walks the halls of the dorm with supplies to set the rooms like a hotel. Pan down to room number 109. 

INT. PROGRAM WORKS SUMMER OFFICE - DAY

The summer office is a dorm room with all the living room furniture packed away into a bedroom. Tables, desks, computers, filing cabinets and a slightly better couch decorate the living room. 

Doug and Julie work at separate desks, but Doug stares and smiles at her more than anything. Julie catches him.

JULIE
...what?

DOUG
Nothing, I just like the way the sun hits your hair.

JULIE
That's sweet, Doug. But get back to work. I'm not helping you file so we can be here forever.

DOUG
Yeah, you're here so I can look at you and get through the day. And so we can do it whenever we want.

JULIE
It's 12:24.

DOUG
That's why it's called Afternoon Delight.

[Doug starts singing Afternoon Delight poorly.]

JULIE
(laughs) Ok, fine. A quick one. Then we get back to work. Didn't you say you had something to take care of back at the apartment before Greg got back.

DOUG
Oh yeah. 


[Doug continues singing as they go into the back room.]

No comments:

Post a Comment