July 29, 2017

Typically 6PM





Now’s the time I usually get home from practice. Now’s the time my mom usually asks if I showered before I came home. Now’s the time I usually lie while hoping my application of deodorant is sufficient enough. Now’s the time a wonderful smell hits my nose. Now’s the time my dad usually has dinner on the table. Now’s the time I usually try to sneak my plate into my room. Now’s the time my dad usually forces me to sit at the table with them. Now’s the time I usually avoid telling them about the redheaded guy I like or the test I almost failed. Now’s the time my mom usually tells me about a new artist she heard on the radio. Now’s the time I usually tell her they’ve been around for months. Now’s the time my dad usually tells me to stop teasing my mom. Now’s the time I usually ask if I can go out with Adam and Julie. Now’s the time I usually have to beg I won’t get into trouble again. Now’s the time they usually say ok as long as I’m back before midnight. Now’s the time I usually know I’ll break curfew again. Now’s the time I usually know no matter how late I am they’re be there to love me.

Today’s the day the redheaded guy kisses me after practice. Today’s the day I come home at 7:22. Today’s the day my mom’s car isn’t in the driveway. Today’s the day I don’t smell dinner when I walk through the door. Today’s the day my dad is lying on the kitchen floor. Today’s the day I step in a puddle of blood. Today’s the day my mom isn’t picking up her phone. Today’s the day I wish my dad would sit at the table with me. Today’s the day the operator struggles to understand me through my sobbing. Today is different. Usually it’s not.

No comments:

Post a Comment