February 10, 2010

False Celebrity

One of my best friends and I were just talking on aim.
I was telling him how reckless everything down here is,
with school cancelled for the whole week.
Then I showed him my twitter, since he doesn't have one.
Needless to say he called me crazy. haha
I told him how I felt like I had fans anytime I tweet.
Then we start talking about how social networks are dangerously psychological.
And honestly, it's true.

Sites like facebook, twitter, and now formspring
have given us the feeling that we're celebrities, in a sense.
Anytime we post a status, picture, video,
we're doing to gain approve and attention from our peers.
Yes, when you boil it down, that's all it is.
Sure, these sites where created to keep in touch with those around you.
But a phone can do that just as well.

Dwell on this.
you can follow someone on Twitter,
but they don't have to follow you back.
If they don't, you end up feeling some type of way
and you'll stop following them.
But if they do follow you,
you'll confidence goes up a little
and you start thinking you're big time.

Now I admit,
I'm very guilty of this.
And I enjoy the feeling.
I mean, it is really wrong to want to feel important?
I guess the damage starts when you don't do anything.

Anyway,
don't let these social networks go to your head.
You're still a person,
just as equal to everyone else around you.
Don't measure your success by how many friends you have
but by how much you have accomplished
and how many appreciate you for it.
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment