February 13, 2010

Hispanic, The Term

For some reason,
I feel as if Hispanics are the overlooked minority.
It's probably just me,
but I see the fewest of them anywhere I go.

Really though,
who is a Hispanic?
Some feel as if the term is too general.
And in a sense, it is.
Merrian-Webster defines Hispanic as:
1 : of or relating to the people, speech, or culture of Spain or of Spain and Portugal
2 : of, relating to, or being a person of Latin American descent living in the United States; especially : one of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin

I think we follow the second definition more so in America.
When I think of a Spanish or Portuguese person,
I don't think of them as Hispanic, but as white.
Why is that?
Possibly because their skin is paler.
But you look at the words Spanish and Hispanic
and think they must be related.
Usually, if someone has tan to dark skin and speaks Spanish,
we'll point them out as Hispanic.

I know it seems like I'm rambling,
but I'm really trying to figure this out.
I mean, the culture of a Puerto Rican differs from a Cuban
and both of those differ a Mexican.
I suppose the term Hispanic is as all inclusive as Black is.
I know some Caribbeans that'll curse you out if you call them black,
especially if you call them African American.
Shoot, even some Africans will get mad if you call them African American
and you would think that term would really appeal to them.

I think overall,
America has been so fixated on branded everyone.
Everyone has to fall into a category.
I guess in a sense, it's suppose to bring those alike together,
but truly it only separates us all as a whole.

Latin American does a more accurate job
than Hispanic when it comes to description.
But it still doesn't get the job done.
Sigh. I don't know.
This is definitely one of those topics
that deserve to be brought up
and discussed in length.
So, as always,
feel free to share your opinions.
Til later, my dear friends [and associates].
Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment